SailNet Community - View Single Post - 4hp outboard motor questions
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: 4hp outboard motor questions

I am running a Nissan 5HP (which is now Tohatsu) on my Morgan 22. It's a 2 stroke with the integral tank. My Morgan 22 is probably the heaviest 22ft boat you'll ever see. The Nissan 5 pushes the boat through the marina at idle and I cruise at half throttle.

I personally love the integral tank. After years of powerboating, not having a fuel line hung over the transom going to a stinky tank with 2 cycle oil residue on it is wonderful.

I take along a spare gas can, which nowadays all them have the locking spout. It works great. You hang the nub of the pour spout on the lip of the tank opening and then you twist the lock on the spout to start filling the tank. When you lift the gas can the spout closes. No muss, no fuss, no spills. And that's filling the outboard while I lean over the transom.

Mine is not the long shaft. I would trade mine for a long shaft in a skinny minute. When motoring in swells over 3ft, the prop often comes out of the water and the engine over-revs. I have to mind the throttle to get the RPMs back down which is a pain.

If I ever have to replace my little Nissan 5 I'll probably buy another one just like it with a long shaft.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook