SailNet Community - View Single Post - UK greencard holder living in US, buying a US boat to keep in US HELP!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

Cabinpanda is on a distinguished road
UK greencard holder living in US, buying a US boat to keep in US HELP!

I am a UK citizen with a greencard living and working in California (for ten years now). I am buying a 48 foot sailboat here that I plan to keep between California and Oregon while she's being re-fit, and ultimately cruise to Mexico and beyond.

I've just found out that I cannot legally own a US documented boat - so I'm told that, in order to travel to foreign ports, I will have to register the boat in the UK - even thought I don't live there (which in theory is a requirement to register a boat in the UK). I do have an address I can use there though.

I've tried to research what's involved in registering a boat in the UK from here but I'm worried that it will create problems for me down the road. (One person told me I will need to take the boat out of the country for 20 days a year). Also there are two registries in the UK, Part I and Part III (the small ships registry). Part III is clearly the easiest option from the US (Part I seems like it wouldn't be possible without having the boat in the UK) but I don't know if that paperwork will really be sufficient foreign customs..

Anyone else out there had to figure this problem out? It feels like I'm going round in circles ... Any advice gratefully received!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook