SailNet Community - View Single Post - 4hp outboard motor questions
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012

rightbrainer is on a distinguished road
Re: 4hp outboard motor questions

I had a short shaft, no gears(start and go), two stroke on a Santana 20. I replaced it with a 4hp long shaft twin cylinder N-F Evinrude. Some things I learned from the experience: 1) with the short shaft, the prop & water intake came out of the water if I went forward...not good; 2) one-lung engines vibrate a lot more than two cylinder engines. A fiberglass boat is a giant resonator. 3) Not having neutral and reverse makes for some very exciting moments at the dock, especially if the wind is from an inconvenient direction; 4) An external tank is nice if you have someplace to keep it. Don't forget to close the vent. The internal tank will take you a long way, but one way or the other, you'll need backup gas on-board. 5) Weight counts. 58# is a lot of weight hanging out there on the stern of a 19 footer. It makes your boat slow to not be sailing on her proper lines and most small boats are drag-ass to begin with. Two-strokes tend to be a lot lighter. Happy hunting!

p.s. If you don't carry enough fuel to deal with an unexpected situation, make sure you have good ground tackle!

Last edited by rightbrainer; 09-14-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook