SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking with an outboard
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Docking with an outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
Long term, I'm going to install remote engine controls and do it the way the pros do it. Short term, I'm going to rig up some sort of extension for the shift lever. I'm thinking of a short piece of PVC on the lever itself and an old tiller extension connected to the top of that. I worry that it won't be 'crisp' enough and I'll be flopping from F to R and back, missing N. I'll try it.
Good luck.. seriously!

One guy just down the dock from us tried this on his Catalina 25 with his outboard permanently mounted on the back - the end result was no end of grief. Not only did the remote throttle/shift lever (from a stinkpot) system get jammed each time he tried to use it for real, doing this 'mod' prevented operation of the normal controls on the motor in an emergency, making getting in and out of his pen - at the only speed he had: full throttle - quite a dockside spectacle indeed.

I'm afraid the only safe way to do remote engine controls is if the manufacturer has designed the engine to have them - and they usually don't for small sailboat (Macgregor excluded) outboards.