SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River Marina questions
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road
Re: Delaware River Marina questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboat73 View Post
I'm looking for advice on which marina along the Delaware River to use.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. I'm looking for a wet slip for a Flying Scot, 19 foot daysailor.
2. I live in downtown Philadelphia, and want to be close to the boat. I'm planning on mulitple short sails, like just a morning or afternoon. With other commitments and family, I don't see full days being an option too often.
3. I'd like to be able to extend the season, and maybe take advantage of those beautiful days that come up each winter (like 65 degrees in January); possibly keep the boat in the water through the winter.
4. I'm not planning on hanging out at the marina, so don't really care about cable tv, wifi, etc.
5. I do care about it being well maintained and safe (knowing that nowhere is perfect).
6. I need somewhere to keep the trailor.

The three candidates seem to be (in no particular order):

a. Phila Marine Center. Just north of the Ben Franklin bridge, next to Dave & Busters; about 10 mins from home. Seems fine, but probably noisy. Pricey.
b. The Piers Marina. Just south of the Ben Franklin bridge next to condos; also about 10 mins from home. Seems more cozy, maybe better protected. Seems to have more sailboats. Same price as Phila Marine Center.
c. Anchorage Marina. In Essington area, near the aiprt; about 30 mins from home. Protected area by Tinicum Island. Noise from the planes. Further away, much less expensive.

I know there are some places on the New Jersey side and also further north on the river, but they're all a bit further away.

Any opinions out there or other marinas close to downtown that I've missed?

Also, what do you think of keeping the boat in the water through the winter?

Thanks in advance.
jboat,

Let me introduce you to ACTIVE CAPTAIN

WWW.ACTIVECAPTAIN.COM

It is an interactive web site. Sign up, it's free and will give you all the info you need. Don't forget to sign up for the newsletter.

Regards

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook