SailNet Community - View Single Post - 4hp outboard motor questions
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012

jboat73 is on a distinguished road
Re: 4hp outboard motor questions

Thank you to everyone that has chimed in; I appreciate all the advice.

The boat is indeed a Flying Scot. The manufacturer says the max is 4hp. I think many owners don't put a motor on at all, but I believe that some of those may be sailing on lakes, so no tide issues. Maybe I'll get to a stage of having enough skill and confidence to have no motor, but right now I really want the comfort of knowing a motor is there to help if needed.

The manufacturer has also said to get the shorter shaft, but what people are saying here about the longer shaft makes a lot of sense to me. Is a longer shaft an issue if the boat sits low and you're in shallow water? I'll inquire about that.

Is it fair to say that Honday 2hp would be lower maintenance than a Tohatsu 4hp? I don't have experience with engines and lower maintenance is definitely appealing. But I'm balancing that against more horses and therefore more ability to get me home after I've screwed up and found myself fighting the tide! Also, in a short sailing window, I think it is inevitable that I'll need to fight the tide one way or the other if I'm not going at slack tide or timing my turn-around with the tide reversal.

Thanks again.