SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mistral 16'
Thread: Mistral 16'
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012

boatshell is on a distinguished road
Re: Mistral 16'

Thanks, dklein90, for your response and input. I have photos but I am only recently (yesterday) a member, so don't know if I can post pics. As I recall, the pull out area on the mast was not huge, but there isn't a way to put that same size rivet into those holes again. I don't have much of an idea how much force or torque is involved, but I'd bet it is substantial. I don't think that I could safely try to patch the holes with Marine-Tex or something like that and re-drill. I don't know. It has been under tarp for a while while I tend to my other boats, sail, fix up house, garden, and cook my daily fix of Thai food.

I do have one of those box store rivet guns and packs of rivets. But that rivet tool was not even strong enough to put in monel rivets on a Lido (Classic 14) mast, so I ended up using aluminum.

I have "more than two" sailboats. I couldn't sail for a very long while, and when I was able to do so, I went a bit wild and "over bought." But I _need_ them and use them for different sailing situations -- solo, solo rigging, with husband, low wind pond, salt water bay with chop, wet boat for hot summer, dry butt boats for cold weather, .... No keel boats, mostly sailing dinghies and some board boats. If it sails well, I want to be on it.

I have come across other Mistral 16 threads on various forums, and because I have "more than two" boats, I belong to a number of sailboat venues. But some of my boats are odd balls or I have questions that most members of sailboat forums don't seem able to address. Also, some of those forums focus on racing. A lot of my questions concern fixing up on a shoestring budget. I was reluctant to actually sign up and post to Sailnet after seeing so many big, gorgeous, nicely decked out sailboats. But seeing some small boat sailors here is inspiring. Heck, if I still lived in Maine on the salt water (I miss it so much), I'd have a keel boat (or two). As you note, there is a real breadth of experience here on Sailnet.

Note to anyone with a Mistral 16 or thinking of buying one. Be sure you have that lid to the aft floatation compartment. I have mine, but the gasket probably wouldn't keep water out. I've read they are sometimes missing or fly off. Just a heads up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook