SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propeller Drag - Challenging my intuition
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012

msogin is on a distinguished road
Yanmar and SailDrive

We ran into a weird situation last week with a new Yanmar and Saildrive on a new 42 foot sailboat. WHile sailing the maxprop continued to rotate even after placing the transmission in reverse or in forward gear. Turned out the zinc was lose and that might have inhibited the blades from properly feathering. More importantly I was surprised that placing the shifter into reverse did not stop the rotation. Upon communicating with the commissioning yard, they decided the problem related to the shifter not being able to change the state of the transmission unless the electronics to the engine were activated. They told me there is an electronic link between the shifter and the transmission and the only way to place the transmission in gear was to either leave it in reverse when I turned off the engine or to nearly simultaneously move the shifter as we shut down the engine. I do not know if this explanation is accurate and until the prop fouls again, I won't be able to test this hypothesis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook