SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repair of broken hull around keel stub
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012

mainer24 is on a distinguished road
Repair of broken hull around keel stub

I've been reading this forum since I've been looking for a boat, then, after getting my 1st sailboat, a 1976 C&C24, and now, that repairs are needed much earlier that I'd like, I thought I would tap into this source of knowledge with questions.
When my skipper ran the boat into an underwater ledge, we didn't feel a shock or a stop, just heard a big noise, and the boat started taking water. Once pulled away from the ledge it sank in a minute :-( It's been salvaged a few days ago and I wonder if it can be fixed. The hull broke around the keel stub (1st picture, of the front of the keel) but the deck and mast and everything else is in such a good shape (plus, I ended up loving this boat so much...). Is there a way to restore the seaworthiness of the hull, so that it holds the weight of the keel, remains water tight and maintains the whole structure of the boat ?
More questions arose when I looked at the boat / (wreck...) on its stands. It looks like the keel had been fixed before, like if fiberglass had been added inside the hull (2d and 3d picture of the keel bolts compartment under the floor of the cabin) ; does this look to you like this boat ran aground before, that the hull was patched with fiber glass cloth and other stuff ?
And this brings me to the 1st question : is any repair possible now, of this broken hull, that would make the boat safe ?
Thank you for any input !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00007.jpg (64.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00022.jpg (74.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00019s.jpg (66.5 KB, 183 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook