SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed sail on Lake Michigan
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012

agarcia is on a distinguished road
Single-handed sail on Lake Michigan

This past Thursday I was able to get out on the water for my fourth single-handed sail ever. The conditions were challenging but manageable. The wave heights were averaging 4-6 ft with the occasional 8-10 ft (Lake Michigan Style). Up until this outing, I have sailed in lower 20kt winds but with much smaller seas (2-3ft) .When I felt like I needed a break I would hove to and re-adjust as needed. The mainsail was reefed (only one reef point), and I furled the 150% genoa down to 70-80% right from the beginning. I was pleased with the fact that I was able to sail wing on wing heading to the South with much success. This was nearly impossible to do for me all summer long with the lighter winds and no whisker pole. Sure there were times when the angle of heel would go to 20 degrees and a little more when beating. No worries here I would just ease the mainsheet out and spill some wind. This experience was thrilling for me since this is my second season sailing. The attached picture shows the stats of my return to port with me beating to the North against the waves and wind. The sailboat is a Ranger 29. Feel free to comment or pass on advice. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept 13 sail.jpg (71.2 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook