SailNet Community - View Single Post - Phase two of my sailing life: California. Where?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Phase two of my sailing life: California. Where?

I have lived and learned to sail in Hawaii and now it's time to expand my cruising abilities.

I'd like to buy a boat in California in The next month. I'm a little familiar with California but not the sailing or marina scene there.

Where would you recommend between San Diego and San Francisco that is good to buy a boat and stay aboard while I get it ready. Start coastal or bay day trips and then move up or down the coast?

I'd like a safe place that has availability for not too expensive. And that will let me stay aboard for weeks or months at a time.

The bay area looks promising. A lot of boats for sale, good choices and a lot of marinas. Also I can go out in the bay for a lot of practice. It's a good time of year. But are there slips available? Where would you start looking?

I'm finding boats I like in Craigslist but I dont know which marina is good. I wouldn't want to buy te boat and immediately have to move it. Where is a good place to concentrate my search? And dog friendly.

Thanks for your help. If you need me to be more specific about anything let me know and I will elaborate.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 09-16-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook