SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cleaning a fuel tank
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning a fuel tank

What a coincidence......I have been thinking about changing the location of my fuel filter for a while now to get it to a spot where I can access without having to fold myself into the lazarette. It is currently behind the engine and although I can get to the top to change the element I haven't been able to get close enough to inspect the bottom of the bowl to see if there was any sludge in it. This morning I took the time to pull the entire filter assembly and the bottom of the bowl had about a quarter inch of black goo in it. Seeing that I decided to check the tank and when I pulled the fuel gauge assembly out the fuel on it was brown. The sides of the tank (that I can see) are also coated. So I am going to find a fuel tank cleaning service to come clean mine. I single hand a lot and don't want to find myself trying to dodge cruise ships coming back into the inlet and have the engine die because a bunch of dead bugs overwhelmed the filters or got through and blocked the injectors.

So - to shorten what was becoming a longer story than necessary - if i were you, grinfax, i would get someone to come clean your tank and polish any fuel in it.

And, by the way, does anyone know of a good tank cleaning service in the Port Canaveral area?
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook