SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Venice, CA
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012

Senorjacob is on a distinguished road
Hello from Venice, CA

Just thought I'd jump in here and say hello. After sailing occasionally throughout the years, and being in the sailing club in high school (I'm 38 now), I recently decided that sailing is something I have to do. I'm drawn to the water, do a lot of surfing and love the ocean. I knew I'd get into it at some point, and now seems to be a good time.

I know the basics of sailing, but it's just the basics (I can take a Capri 14 out and be fine). I'm thinking of taking the ASA 101 and 103 class at one of the schools here in Marina Del Rey. There also seems to be a couple of coops here too that are more affordable. Definitely want to crew on other people's boats. Eventually would love to get a ~30' boat with my girlfriend (who also wants to learn) and cruise up and down the coast. And then maybe way off into the future do a crossing to Hawaii. But that's a super long term goal. For now I just want to get out on the water.

There are 3 major schools here, I think. The one I'm thinking of enrolling in has a couple of day sailor 25' boats that members can take out any time for a $28 fee. Sounds like a great way to get lots of affordable time on the water after I get certified. Of course, there are initiation and membership fees.

Any views on all of this from this forum would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook