SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repair of broken hull around keel stub
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012

mainer24 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Repair of broken hull around keel stub

Thank you all for your advice ! what looks clear now is that spending the winter fixing it is not an option anymore. I haven't worked with epoxy/fiber glass before and I underestimate probably how messy that can be (was just reading that fg dust is toxic, prob for the same reasons asbestos is). Security is also important as I usually take friends, friend's relatives etc on board and I would feel terrible if anything happened because of a bad boat (even worse if I had "fixed" it). I've learned my lesson : it can look very good from the outside but be dangerous nevertheless. I realize too that age matters (for these boats at least) ; the next one won't be older than me ! Thank you for the idea of stripping it, too. I had thought of the sails and sheets but would have forgotten the winches, blocks, pulleys,... and other metal parts. The boat hasn't been surveyed by the insurance yet ; I guess they will "total" it, which is why I was wondering if buying it back was worth it.
As for the details of the accident, that's how it happened : the wind had died on us so we were motoring back to the harbor (4 hp, 2-stroke motor, we were probably running at 15 mph max). I left the tiler to my skipper and went on the bow to fold the jib. He didn't pay attention to a red buoy that we should have kept on our starboard side and took a "shortcut" in front of it. We heard a big "boom" but were not shaken at all : where I was standing, I did not fall overboard. The boat ended up stuck on the ledge and the waves were rocking it pretty badly ; we were afraid that the wave would fill the cockpit but instead, water started coming in from the keel bolts compartment. Long story short, the USCG could get to us after the tide went back up and when they towed the boat of the ledge it sank. For the salvage story, we had a diver finding the wreck, first on its depth finder, then by actually diving (40 feet deep, boat was lying on its side) and rigging the boat, for the barge that came next to lift it up and bring it back to shore. I am borrowing a picture from the diver to answer the questions about the salvage...
Thank you again for your wise comments !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barge2.jpg (52.2 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook