SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wind generator help request
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012

wbrownell9 is on a distinguished road
Wind generator help request

When I bought Carina (PSC 37) she had an Aero6gen wind generator but it wasn't wired in. Apparently at some time in the past, the dump resistor had suffered a catastrophic failure and the PO removed every scrap of wire associated with the installation, leaving nothing but the mast and the generator, and let it spin for 3 years, until his price expectations had moderated... According to the owner's manual, just letting it spin with no load in high winds is a bad idea, so until I can check it out and wire it in properly - winter project - I've just tied it off.

Now I'm looking at charge controllers. It appears that the available controllers just regulate to 14.4 volts, or dump to the resistor. Ideally I'd like a "smart" controller like the one I use when on shorepower that can do constant current, then constant voltage, then float to keep the battery from self-discharging. Or am should I be looking at it differently, not as a replacement for shorepower but as real-time makeup for what I use? Right now I'm just sailing weekends with one or maybe two nights on the hook before returning to the marina.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook