SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wind generator help request
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-16-2012 Thread Starter
wbrownell9

Wind generator help request

When I bought Carina (PSC 37) she had an Aero6gen wind generator but it wasn't wired in. Apparently at some time in the past, the dump resistor had suffered a catastrophic failure and the PO removed every scrap of wire associated with the installation, leaving nothing but the mast and the generator, and let it spin for 3 years, until his price expectations had moderated... According to the owner's manual, just letting it spin with no load in high winds is a bad idea, so until I can check it out and wire it in properly - winter project - I've just tied it off.

Now I'm looking at charge controllers. It appears that the available controllers just regulate to 14.4 volts, or dump to the resistor. Ideally I'd like a "smart" controller like the one I use when on shorepower that can do constant current, then constant voltage, then float to keep the battery from self-discharging. Or am should I be looking at it differently, not as a replacement for shorepower but as real-time makeup for what I use? Right now I'm just sailing weekends with one or maybe two nights on the hook before returning to the marina.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome