SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newport Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
Newport Boat Show

Took my annual trip to the Newport Boat Show on Saturday. Some overnight rain gave way to sunny skies, a nice breeze and temps in the lower 70's. In short, a perfect boat show day.

Unlike the past few years, the show was crowded, with lines of some sort or another to get on and view just about any boat. Met some interesting people, saw some terrific boats, picked up a bargain or two, and generally had a great time.

The highlights for me: the Hake Seaward boats, especially the 26 and the 32. I love the concept of the moveable keel, and the fact that I think the boats are both beautiful and practical. The 46 is a neat boat too, but it just doesn't do it for me the way the 32 does. The 32 would be perfect for me: small enough to single-hand easily for an after work quickie, but big enough to sail comfortably for a week to Block, Narraganset Bay or the Cape and Islands. The 32RK is my new favorite; I win the lottery, and that's the boat I am buying.

Highlight number two: the Island Packet Estero. I love the concept and the layout below. If my wife and I morph unexpectedly into people who want to cruise for months at a time, then I would trade in the Seaward and buy and Estero. Maybe. Decisions, decisions.

Bob Bitchin was there, promoting his new magazine with the same dizzying array of hats, shirts and stuff. I didn't get a chance to wish him luck, but I do (so Bob, if you're reading this, good luck).

There was an Austrailian rum promoing itself: South Seas Rum. I had a "Dim and Cloudy", which is their own take on the copyrighted Dark and Stormy. Pretty darn good, but then again, I just like rum.

I also picked up a couple of docklines on close out: 20 foot lines for $4 each. And a new double block from Garhauer for my outhaul, $16.

Since the sailboats were so crowded, I assume that other Sailnetters were there too; any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook