SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I rescue this section of LIDO teak CB cap?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I rescue this section of LIDO teak CB cap?

First, please don't be hard on yourself because you have a small boat. Anybody who looks down on a small boat sailor is a fool. ALL of my best sails were in small boats. Life and sailing were simpler then.
On to your problem. I am not sure that that is teak. Many here know a lot more about wood that I do and can make that call but on my 38 year old boat there is a LOT of teak and it is all sound while the lesser woods around it rotted away. None of my teak is rotten like that.
If I couldn't scrounge some cheap used teak I would replace that with something much cheaper and just do it again every ten or fifteen years.
There are a lot of boatyards that are ending up with abandoned boats by the dozens. The one I was at was scrapping decent boats for the lead in their keels because it was worth more than the whole boat. They had chunks of teak from time to time that you could have probably bought for $20.00.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook