SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pacific Seacraft 32 PH
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012

aljohnso is on a distinguished road
Re: Pacific Seacraft 32 PH

I received a private message asking about whether we bought a PSPH 32, however I haven't made enough posts to allow me to send a PM, so I'm posting my reply here:

We did buy one. We're located in the Seattle area. We're closing in on our first year of ownership.

Not for a minute have I felt we bought the wrong boat. It is hard to imagine a design which makes a better use of space for a couple, or a couple with one or two kids.

Comparisons would be against an armada of broken-down Catalina charter boats, so there is no easy way to make a comparison.

Most of the negatives I can think of could be considered positives by others, depending on your needs/wants, but here is my list:

- I would prefer a slightly larger icebox. The current one is fine for my wife and I, but with two teenage boys along, another cubic foot or two would be nice.

- We are Pacific Northwest sailors. 70 gallons of fuel is way too much capacity. One fill-up represents an entire year of cruising. Dealing with stale diesel and keeping tanks topped up is more of a concern than running out.

- We're fanatical about not pumping overboard. I would prefer a 30 gallon holding tank rather than the existing 17-20ish gallon one.

- We have the 38hp Yanmar, which in my opinion, is about 8-10hp more than needed. Engine access is fabulous, but I wish we had about 4" more access between the engine and the bulkhead on the port side. Changing the raw water impeller is doable, but no easy task.

Everytime I say to myself, "that seems a bit wierd," I soon have an ah-ha moment and say, "wow, what a great design."

We happen to meet a sistership in the San Juan Islands this past summer. That couple had recently downsized from a Perry 47' to the PS32PH. They raved about how managable, but spacious the boat is. I would agree.

We chartered a Catalina 36 for the two previous years. Our PS32PH is more manuverable and (feels) more spacious. There is no boat, larger or smaller I would trade for.

Obviously we are happy with our selection. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Alan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook