SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newport Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Newport Boat Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
The boat that caught my eye was the Morris 41T. Beautiful woodwork.
Jim
How about that M52? Morris has taken the Alerion luxury daysailer concept to the ultimate level. I used to think the Alerion was the prettiest girl at the dance; then the Friendship 40 came out, and my jaw just dropped. Decadent. Just when I thought that couldn't be beat, Morris came out with the M Line of daysailers. Alerion marries classic hull lines with a modern underbody and rig, but the interiors are pretty spare. Friendship takes that concept, and puts a superyacht luxury interior into the hull. The joinery and brightwork are almost over the top they are so deluxe. Then Morris comes along and dials back the luxury; not a lot, but makes it more "New Englandy", with a Herreshoff-style interior. White paneled bulkheads and less carvings than the Friendship. Equally upscale, but less ostentatious (if a $1.6M yacht can be less ostentatious). I used to make a beeline for the M's and Friendship boats first thing at the boat show. Trouble was that after I saw them, everything else looked like crap. Now, I first vist the boats I really think I might someday own, and save Morris and Friendship for dessert.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook