SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rot in hull/deck joint - thoughts on necessity of reinforcement?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Re: Rot in hull/deck joint - thoughts on necessity of reinforcement?

Hmm, now that you parse out the two types, I'm not sure. When we bought it four years back we were told that it was cold-molded in the style of the Gougeon Brothers, but it's also true that it is a cedar strip boat with glass and epoxy inside and out. The primary reason for the rot is probably that it traveled from the end-grain at the bow once the bow stem had rotted through (it's been a fun couple of weeks).

So, while the cedar was at least surface coated with epoxy, it doesn't appear that it was impregnated, for what it's worth. The builder must have thought that a layer of glass around the shear clamp was a good idea to keep water out and tie it even more into the hull/deck, but of course in our case it operated to trap water in.

Regarding the survey suggestions, we have had a local surveyor here in the yard (who I think knows his stuff) look at our boat a few times over the past couple weeks. When I described the problem to him the other day, he suggested the wood knee approach if we were going to do anything about it, but he kind of threw his hands up in the air when I asked whether we could make do without it. That sent me here in search of more points of view, or possibly first-/second-hand experiences.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook