SailNet Community - View Single Post - Equalizing AGM batteries
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dan.. I went the other way...from wet to AGM after experiencing the SAME performance you are describing from the wet cells so I'm not sure that switching is the answer you are looking for. So far the AGM's are doing well for me but I've only had them a bit over a year. I am beginning to believe that with every day use, the important thing is to really cycle the batteries down to 50% and then give the a FULL charge up with the generator at least once every couple of weeks. The constant "mini" charging from solar/wind and minor generator runs seems to gradually deteriorate the batteries ability to take a charge. I have no technical foundation for this but a couple of long term cruisers suggested the new routine to me and as I said, it is working so far. I really lie the AGM's from the maintenance aspect since it is a pain to access them in my boat but I do NOT have "Lifeline" so can't comment on them specifically. Down island, you are facing a hell of an expense to replace them so I understand the wet cell attractiveness. Have you tried deeply discharging your current ones and then bringing them back to full charge dockside with the charger?
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook