SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repair of broken hull around keel stub
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Repair of broken hull around keel stub

I would strongly urge you to reconsider taking any money from the insurance company, or even notifying them of the accident. You may find that once they pay off, they shortly there after drop your policy. You will then have a VERY tough time finding a new insurer.

I had a customer of mine have this happen to him. They paid him to fix the keel then promptly dropped his policy come renewal time. It took him a very long time to find a new policy, which is not as good, and it now costs him about 4X what he was paying for his first policy. It is one thing in a "no fault" claim, eg: someone hit you at the dock, mooring etc, lightning, unpredicted storm, etc. but when you hit a ledge they tend to not like to insure those types of "risks"...

Chalk this up to "new boatitus" and find a new one but without the insurance company... Something to consider.

Granite ledges in Maine don't move, but you'd not be the first to have tried...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook