SailNet Community - View Single Post - That Smell? Victory....maybe?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
Re: That Smell? Victory....maybe?

My boat usually smells surprisingly good after being shut up all winter. Last season I went up the day before launch, uncovered it, and noticed it smelled a bit "off" down below. Also noticed I forgot to leave the hatch open (my usual routine) on the top-loading fridge when I left the boat on the hard the previous fall. Didn't think much about it at the time but that evening while sleeping on the boat with no breeze or fans moving air through the cabin I woke to an increasingly foul odor. I stumbled around the cabin half awake and traced it to the area of the fridge. Upon opening it the smell amplified greatly and I wondered how just leaving a clean, dry fridge shut up for the winter could result in a smell like that.

A careful inspection with a flashlight revealed a (very ripe) remains of a hamburger patty in a ziplock that eluded detection after finding its way into a hard-to see area under the mechanicals in the recesses of the unit during final stages of layup 6 months earlier at dusk. Fortunately, since I had left the fridge hatch accidently closed all this time the odor hadn't permeated the fabrics inside the boat and it was an easy clean/fix isolated to the fridge compartment itself. I now have a battery powered LED light array mounted over the fridge that illuminates the interior completely when open . . . very nice addition . . . not just for cleanout but for everyday use.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook