SailNet Community - View Single Post - Car insurance for cruisers
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Car insurance for cruisers

We got rid of one of ours and are on the last one (paid off even). It is a truck which is great because it is like a mobile storage unit. However, we will likely sell it soon. The reason is that as we move, we have to move the truck to. The marinas wont let us just leave our truck laying there - understandably. Also, our rates (no wrecks or tickets) is roughly $960/year insurance. We listed our friends address in Fort Myers beach versus Tampa (since that is our next stop and as close to a home base as we have). Tampa was nearly 50% more!!! THat is for a paid off 2007 Ford F150 worth maybe 20,000. Most of that cost is liability, incidentally.

What you can do is list the address of your marna where you are for the insurance policy. We used State Farm. If you have a homebase somewhere else, try listing that instead to see if it is cheaper. But I warn you, the car is great while you are stationary but a real PITA when you move. You have to rent a car just to move your car... so you're not getting out of renting no matter what you do.

What almost everyone here does is rents a car from Enterprise every other weekend or so. Its realtively cheap and they will typically pick you up and drop you off. Mileage doesn't matter and you should be able to take out their insurance (which is about $17/day IIRC... high). Still the total costs will likely be a lot less than what you have invested in a beater car and monthly insurance. Plus, you still have to sell that car AND you gotta move her everytime you move and rent a car to do so.

Last summer I was in the keys for several months and all I used was Enterprise (as described above). If you get to know the manager, they often swing you some deals. I think I paid like $4xx/month. Sometimes it was $20/weekend. Avoid the airports as they dont work with you, dont get to know you, and have lots of high taxes and crap they throw on.

Just some thoughts. Hope that helps.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook