SailNet Community - View Single Post - That Smell? Victory....maybe?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012

Everett_Tyler is on a distinguished road
Re: That Smell? Victory....maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Interior wood can be finished with varnish, polyurethane, or various "furniture oils". As general rule, you can't put urethane over other finishes as the solvents will cause the old finish to bubble. But the other way around is usually fine. I wipe all the wood surfaces down on my boat a couple of times a year with a lemon oil furniture polish (it works fine on exposed gel-coat and Formica too). For some of the shiner bits of trim I wipe a little "Danish oil" on once a year, or every other year (it takes a while to dry, and acts kind of like varnish, but penetrates the wood). Many production boats will have unfinished wood in areas that can't be readily seen (such as inside lockers and cabinets). Painting these with a gloss or semi-gloss enamel, or a wood sealer.

Thanks for the great advice. I don't know a lot about finishing/caring for wood. I have stained a deck, and I built a farm table for my mom that I also stained and then put polyurethane on ( I think that is how I did it) but that is the extent of it.

What would you say my best method for the wood in my cabin is? It's in great shape, a couple nicks here and there but mostly in great shape. It needs something to bring it's shine back, and hopefully seal in any odors that have gotten in there. Maybe that is the wrong way to think about odors though, which you can elaborate on. What do you think should be used to just go over all the wood, to make it look as close to new as possible again. I have seen Danish oil, and if I were building a coffee table or dresser, I would totally use that stuff, but can I use it in my boat, over the existing finish?

I have a plan for the fabrics, just need a good plan for the wood.

Also- any good advice for bilge areas that can't be accessed? Just good old bilge cleaner? Orrr....?

Tyler From Everett.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook