SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012

FtWorthSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel

Here are the answers to your questions, SevSeaSail:
Did you take any pictures? No. I probably should have.

What's the model year? 1980 Pop Top version

How are the sails? He stated, they are dirty but still in good order.

Is the rigging all complete? It would appear so.

How about the deck and rest of the hull? The deck looks ok. It is missing all the stanctions and wire, as well as the rails that goes around the stern. There are holes that have been filled with what looks to be bathtub calking.... There are cracks in the polycoat on the fiberglass near the corner where the pop top meets the slider.

The inside is pretty dirty and all the cushions stink and will have to be replaced. The table is warped and water damaged, probably leaking from the pop top. One of the electrical switches is broken, there is no battery so couldn't check the lights or any other function. It has one of those portable self contained potty things.... looked like it had a crack in it.

I wasn't able to see the hull very clearly, however it looks like it could use another scraping and sanding job. Then a couple of coats of bottom paint.

He also stated that if I was looking for a smooth, fast sailing hull, this wasn't it.
What does that mean? Damaged, etc? He also stated that I could get the boat, As-Is for $700. I suspect that I might even get it for less but that definitely makes me wonder if its a trashed boat and wonder if it will even float. . . . .

There is another C-22 nearby that they are asking $1500. for boat and trailer. I am planning on going there to take a look.

Last edited by FtWorthSailor; 09-18-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook