SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which AGM batteries are best
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Which AGM batteries are best

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Fitting a larger alternator which I wanted to do with the serp belt was not an option to me due to the space my engine is in.

I guess I have wasted my money then as are many of us with AGM.
I guess the marine professional we deal with really isn't qualified in his recommendations
I guess the marine industry is duping many of us to buy the AGMs

One thing my marine professional has said to me is the same as you said. You can't beleive what you read on the Internet. Funny these comments are all on the Internet I am reading including the SailNet ones.

Luckily I have already gotten a few years on these Lifelines so I will be waiting for them to expire any day now. Or maybe they will actually last the 8 years I expected them to to beat all the negative expectations I keep reading about to make them financially worth while. I don't jut consider the initial cost of the batteries as the only cost. There is the other associated energy costs to keep them charged.

There is a space issue and access for maintainence which also lead to my decision. There was a safety one where I didn't want H2SO gasses on my boat and in the compartment where I live or spilling around if I had to ork on them around

One of the reasons I chose the electromax on your recommendation which was a good one was the % of charge at lower Rpm. I know that the bank should have a larger charger, but it simply won't fit.

I will show your post to my marine tech. Like both you and Bill it is what he does for a living and he is recognized by people in the Annapolis area as one of the if not the top company and person to use in this area. Maybe I as well have erred in using his advice and expertise. He is independent of brand use and presented me with 3 different scenarios for Haleakulas electrical system. This was the option he suggested. I tend to trust people I can look in the eye, but of course do research on line to try and back up my decision. What I read on the internet is all over the map. So who should I beleive? I choose the best I can from the informstion I get.

I will be interested in his reaction to you and Bills posts as he has a lot of real world experience and customers too.

Dave
Dave,

I don't think you've been "duped" as it sounds as if you made an "educated" decision. You may get your 8 years out of them for how you use them. As I recall you are on a dock. One of the big issues I face with cruisers and many of my customers is that they are not tied to a dock on a regular basis. AGM batteries like to get back to 100% and a dock sailed boat has this advantage over a cruiser or mooring sailed boat. I am still at a loss as to why a larger amperage Emaax would not fit? The 80A model and the 140A model share the same exact alternator case and have identical exterior dimensions.. Only the internals, stator & rotor, are different..

As I have said before AGM's can be the right choice, they have many benefits, space constraints are another good one, but I would be doing many of my customers a disservice by only recommending AGM because AGM's can be a poor choice in some applications for a number of reasons from financial to how the batteries will be charged.....

I install a lot of the 220Ah 6V 4CT batts because they are a standard height and will fit more Ah's than four group 24's will...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-19-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook