SailNet Community - View Single Post - Damn FLIES!
Thread: Damn FLIES!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road
Re: Damn FLIES!

I think I will have to get one of those tennis racket looking bug-zappers for sure. Chris would be absolutely thrilled and entertained. For someone who loves and respects nature so much, he sure does love killing the flies!

I saw the thread about the greenheads, but those mostly offered suggestions like bug sprays and such. I don't like to lather myself up in smelly sprays/lotions, and DEET is toxic to dogs.

Mostly looking for a way to keep the flies from coming into and around the boat in such plentiful numbers, as I know it's probably impossible to keep them away entirely. I did find one suggestion online that I want to try: get an apple scented dish soap and a mason jar. Fill an inch of soap, then an inch of water. Set outside in the cockpit, and the flies will go down into the jar and drown. There's a variation where you put sugar and water, but apparently the dish soap works and sugar doesn't. Don't ask me why.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook