SailNet Community - View Single Post - Far Cry is SOLD
Thread: Far Cry is SOLD
View Single Post
  #1  
Old 09-19-2012
FarCry's Avatar
FarCry FarCry is offline
Freedom 39
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St Thomas USVI
Posts: 901
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 8
FarCry is on a distinguished road
Far Cry is SOLD

I had been working very hard on Far Cry to prepare her for a longer voyage. Part way into that process I ran across a Freedom 39 Cat Ketch and bought her. This created a bit of a mess for me but I put my head down and in my spare time over 3 weeks on Far Cry I:
1) Finished painting the interior to cover the fake wood-grained areas.
2) Replaced the original Yanmar 2QM15 with a rebuilt 2GM20
3) Painted the bilge and engine area, the engine was out and it looked nasty.
4) Changed the packing, the engine was out and access was great.
5) Replaced the shaft coupling, the engine was out and it looked suspect.
6) Modified the engine bed slightly (insert foul language here)
7) Replaced the motor mounts, to get engine height correct.
8) Repainted the engine area, again!!!
9) Added a return fuel line, none on 2QM15.
10) Added a stop cable into cockpit to kill engine, none on 2QM15.
11) Replaced the fuel pump, after it started leaking (insert profanity here)
12) Had the alternator rebuilt that decided to die with the fuel pump!!
13) Rewired much of the grounding system, it was just ugly.
14) And about 100 other things that all cost money, take time and I can't think of right now.

About a week before I planned on making announcements everywhere that Far Cry was for sale a potential buyer contacted me and wished to come see the boat. She was a mess with tools and parts scattered all over... He was still very impressed, spent about 15 minutes on board and said he would take her!!!! We did a sea trial Sunday and finalized everything this afternoon. It couldn't have been easier.

The Freedom is called Paradigm Shift. As stated, she needs a lot of attention. So far I've
1) Replaced the Nicro Vent fan that was leaking with the new one the owner had bought but not installed.
2) Replaced the defective switch to run the shower sump with one that is actually designed to be in a wet location. DUH!!!
3) Replaced the shredded halyard on the main sail.
4) Spent about 4 hours diving on the hull chiseling away at mussels, sponges, feather dusters, crustaceans and a zillion other forms of flora and fauna I can't begin to identify. I figure just 2-3 more hours and I will have the bottom "sort of cleanish". That is for another day/week/month.
5) Figured out how the various pieces of piled up stainless tubing strewn about the deck can create the bimini frame.
6) Had new zippers sewn into the bimini.
7) Replaced the capacitor on the A/C blower. I'm loving the cool air now!!!
8) Got a stereo and speakers working. Yahoo!!!
9) Yesterday spent a few hours trying to disassemble and/or remove the Groco KH head that needs to be rebuilt so that it can work. I purchased the rebuild kit and was amazed at how many pieces were in there! Should be fun.
With a working shower and head, I will be ready to dive into the engine to confirm all is well and up to snuff. It was fun to start a car when I was 16 with a screwdriver on the solenoid, I plan to get the ignition to function from the helm soon!!!!

In essence I took a major leap into the unknown buying a boat that could not be sea-trialed before purchase because of many issues. So far I've been very impressed with the original installation of many of the systems on board. I can't wait to get my massive list of tasks done and see how she sails. Speaking of sails, I need to get a new mizzen sail ordered soon so I'm not waiting on that... Boat bucks will be disappearing at a fast pace.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook