Originally Posted by hellosailor
"How is kerosene safer than alcohol? "
The invisible flame from alcohol is blamed for causing more boating fires than any other single cause, IIRC. Because of the way that alcohol vapors will catch, and the invisible spread once they do catch, it becomes way more dangerous than it might seem to be.
Personally I think unpressurized alcohol is about the same as a Sterno can, a chafing dish heater. I can send out for tea before it will boil the water to make it.
And the stench of kero, "water white cooking grade" or otherwise, makes me seasick.
So if I can't cook with propane, CNG, LPG, whatever, I'll opt for a single-burner butane cooker and just try very hard not to blow myself up with it. Or eat cold food.
Alcohol stove? I'll eat cold food or order take-out.
If your kero stove or oven stinks, you are doing something wrong. Properly vaporized kerosene is odorless.
This is not the case for oil lamps, if you burn kero in them, it has a pretty strong smell. And, of course, there is a 'stench' if you spill the stuff, but that is something I would categorize under 'operator error.
But look at the bright side: if you spill butane (propane, ...), smell is likely to be the least of your worries.