SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alcohol Stove - Non-Pressurized
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Alcohol Stove - Non-Pressurized

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"kerosene is odorless. "
Yes, I've heard a number of people including Mercedes shop managers say that. It appears to be said more often by mechanics than biologists, who would suggest that some of us simply have more sensitive noses, and some of us can smell and taste things that others literally cannot. (There are genetic differences.)
Never met anyone who could actually prove that "properly" combusted kero or diesel had no stink.
OK, I am not aware of a double-blind test either but it seems easy to do such a study (Mainesail???). It is certainly possible that there are genetic differences but I think it is more likely that people compare apples (clean vaporizer operation) with oranges (spilled fuel and/or combustion in a wicked lamp).

All I can say is that I strongly smell my anchor lamp when I use kero in it, but I don't smell my kero stove at all when it is burning.

Quote:
Sure, any fuel spill can explode. Including kero and diesel. That's what fuels are supposed to do, they explode. Sometimes in a more controlled or more surprising fashion than at other times. The most powerful conventional bombs in existance are ANFO, fuel-air bombs based on, you guessed it, nice safe diesel fuel.
That is incorrect. You are right that any FUEL can explode, including kerosene and diesel. Or, for that matter, such things as wheat flour. But not every fuel SPILL can explode. To make diesel or kero explode, you need very specific conditions of heat and pressure that you will never find when you spill it. Like inside a diesel engine or in a fuel bomb. Or inside a medieval flour mill before people understood such things as air-suspended solids and rather attributed mill explosions to the devil that surely must be in such new-fangled devices as wind mills.

You will be faced with a clean-up job if you spill your bag of King Arthur whole-wheat flour. In the case of kero or diesel you will, in addition, experience a petrochemical smell.

But in none of these cases will there be danger of an explosion.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 09-19-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: nicer word smithing :)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook