SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buyers broker / consultant.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
In Michigan real estate there is "dual agency" where the buyer and seller can be represented by one broker. This used to be an ethical problem, and in my opinion still is. Never the less, the point of being a broker is to make money and that should always be borne in mind. I doubt that a broker would have any trouble selling you a boat at twice the going rate if you were blinded by your love for the boat. And if you love the boat, twice the price may be fine (!) just don't cry later. If you want to cover your stern, you'd probably want a broker representing your interests. So you have to shop for a broker before you shop for a boat. On the other hand, there are good brokers who will not steer you wrong regardless of their lack of financial interest. Sounds like some of these were listed previously. A lot of research needs to be done in finding a broker you trust; just like a doctor, auto mechanic, etc... Word of mouth, again as listed above, is a great aid. There are good and bad brokers, like any profession, and one might be served as well, or better, by a "great" sellers broker than one's own not so great broker. It makes sense to me to shop the broker as if you were shopping the boat. Not nearly as much fun, but perhaps the most beneficial in the long run. To carry the real estate analogy further, there are agents I wouldn't buy a house from no matter how good the deal or house.. Good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook