SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Boat, Am I getting a good deal?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat, Am I getting a good deal?

Tyler welcome to the site. I just sold a 1992 Beneteau First 285 for 24000.00. I sail in the Pacific North West where Cascade were built.“Cascade cruisers or racers can always be identified by our hand lay-up method of construction in the hull. We use woven roving and cloths, lay each piece in and wet it out with resin, then hand squeegee excess resin to keep the content low. Our resin content in the finished hull is approximately 50%, as compared to nearly 70% resin found in many of the hulls made today with mat (chopped fibers) and chopper guns. The use of mat and chopper guns, while greatly reducing construction costs, have not improved the quality of hulls. Compared with woven fiberglass, these methods use a large amount of resin which adds weight and bulk and makes the laminate more brittle.”

Time has proven both the process and design. Both are legendary. The bullet proof sample is still in the office since 1954. Many Cascades won important races during the past and several have made circumnavigations.

In 1978, Mr. Smith designed the CASCADE 27, and he received Hull No. 1 of that series.

I think you might be getting a better deal than you think. They were quality boats at a great price back in the day some time you just need to jump for the deal!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook