SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about living aboard
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 09-20-2012
Brent Swain
Re: Thinking about living aboard

I've lived aboard for over 40 years and it saved me enough money to enable me to semi retire in my mid 20's ,working only a month a year since then. There is no way I could have accomplished that, had I lived on land, with it's huge expenses. When living aboard gets expensive , you are doing something wrong.

Where are you living aboard? In cold lattitudes, it can be very comfortable, or very uncomfortable . If it is the latter, you are doing something wrong. The key is lots of insulation and a good heat source. I have 1 1/2 inch of sprayfoam in my entire hull, decks and cabin. When I turn my saltshaker upside down, it will empty itself,with no shaking required. My boat is that dry inside.
A strip of anything, including fibreglass, connecting the inside to the outside, will drip condensation. Insulate anything which connects to the outside.
I have a good, large, airtight stainless woodstove, which will run up to 14 hours on a load of dry wood.
Boats have never been cheaper. The Cal is good choice , if you add a lot of insulation.
I havent tried it , but I read that if you dissolve borax in water, and brush it on a surface, the water evaporates, leaving a thin film of borax, which will stop mold from growing. Clothes and books you are not using can be kept mold free in a plastic bag with a few mothballs thrown in. An hour airing out eliminates the smell, when you want to use them.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome