SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

I single hand and yes I do sleep when I am away from shipping lanes. With modern navigation and the cost of fuel, those freighters stick to the shortest routes and don't stray away from them and as far as statistics go, singlehanders have a pretty good track record of not bumping into each other. I set the radar on a 3 mile perimiter and hit the hay for as long as I can sleep. As far as the stuff goes that drifts around out there, I bet that even keeping watch at night one would not spot a half submerged container or other such stuff, that is a risk, I and in reality we all have to take, or stay at the dock. I have seen first hand what not having had enough sleep can do when a single hander hit the harbour wall when he finaly fell asleep with his boat running on auto pilot. It got trashed beond repair and is sitting next to the travel lift slip in Horta.
So as far as I am concerned, I get as much sleep when I can, because ye never know when ye have to be proper awake and have yer wits about ye.

ATB

Michael

Last edited by Ferretchaser; 09-20-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook