SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

I spend a lot of my life in a commercial wheel house on watch. We see sailboats very well in the day time. The day's of the untrained junky nodding off on radar watch is a thing of the past. Night time approaching Cartagenia is not a good time to sleep, hove to in the day time out in the ocean is safer than not sleeping. Shipping lanes basically exist. time is money and the line drawn between busy ports is a lane, ships stick to routes. Ofcourse they can be any where. 100 ships pass me on the way to Bahamas, one will pass in six day's on my regular route to Honduras, because I'm out of the "major" shipping traffic. I don't think you need to be raised in siesta ville to take a much needed sleep after an all night watch nor do I think long off shore single handed passages are for the average cubical paper sales man from suburbia, all though those dudes do sometimes pull it off. You either have the sea coursing through your veins or you don't. I did an 8 day passage when I was 19, fell asleep the third night out for 7 hours in the Yucatan channel, stupid luck got me through that night. I was niave to think trying to stay up as much as possible was the best tactic. Now when I do that run I sleep in the light of day and stay up all night.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-21-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook