SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I own a 2003 Macgregor 26M and when I first looked at them I thought, "it is not a real sailboat". Now, four seasons sailing later I have discovered that it is just fine. These boats do very well in 20-25 knot winds, (I have not been out in higher winds) and handle big swells easily. The Poo-Pooers just don't have any experience with them. While it is not a blue water capable boat it is certainly ideal for the Pacific Northwest as I sail the Georgia Strait, San Juans, & Gulf Islands regularly in some fairly windy conditions. As far as I am concerned the skipper will fail before the boat does. The Pacific Northwest is no pond and it tends to get very treacherous and makes a good proving ground for the Macgregor. Keep in mind the Macgregor is a price point boat and comes begging for upgrades but that is also one of the benefits since you can outfit it to your own standards. These boats sell more than others for a reason and I have yet to meet an unhappy owner. I will say that I am unhappy with the size and wish I could afford a larger boat but my budget says no way. For what it does the Mac is a fine boat and those who bash it don't really know what they are talking about and you may label them with what ever label fits their mouth. Don't knock one until after you have owned one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook