SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
NO, I have no engine and no gen. I have one solar pannel, a vhf, mast head light, three cabin lights and a hand held gps I turn on twice a day. Every thing else is manual. I used to have a marine radar dectector I bought at a marine flea market, it broke, from lack of use I reckon. Ironically I have 2 radars, ais, and bla bla bla at work on the tug boat. When single handling I rely on gumption and common sense. Before gps I had a radio direction finder and a cheap noon sight sexton.
With the sailing you do between Key West and Guanaja, I'm surprised you haven't sprung for AIS... It's the single biggest boon for the singlehanded offshore sailor today, IMHO, especially sailing a route you do with a pretty heavy concentration of cruise ship and merchant traffic being funneled through the Yucatan Channel...

Standard Horizon makes a very nice VHF with fully integrated AIS for a few hundred bucks... It's a very capable little unit. Of course it has to be integrated to a GPS, so you might have to go with a fixed mount GPS of some sort as well, but I'd still rate that as money very well spent, for the voyaging you do...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook