SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about upgrading...
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 09-21-2012
Tim R.
Re: Thinking about upgrading...

Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
This is all still pretty hypothetical right now, but I’d like to upgrade from my ’77 Ericson 27’ to something in the mid-30’ range. The main reason is the ability to do longer cruises and spend a lot more weekends – as opposed to day sails - on the boat than we currently do now.

I love the lines of older boats, but my wife likes the amenities of newer ones.

Here’s my question, is “better” to buy a larger but only slightly newer boat for less money or go ahead and purchase a more expensive, newer boat?

I’m going to look at a 1983 Tartan 37’ and a 1997 Beneteau 35’. The price difference is about $12k. I’d like to have whichever boat I get for a good while longer so I’m worried that an 1983 might already be getting “old” – even though T37s are great boats.

I know that the T37 is probably more “blue water” than the Beneteau but I don’t plan on sailing around the world in either.

Thanks for your input.
Our previous boat, a 1985 Ericson 35-3, is currently for sail in Annapolis. Check out my website for more info. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you in touch with the current owner.

More info here but this is an old thread. Amazing Boat For The Discriminating Buyer

More info on the Ericson site:

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tim R.; 09-21-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome