SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about upgrading...
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about upgrading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
This is all still pretty hypothetical right now, but I’d like to upgrade from my ’77 Ericson 27’ to something in the mid-30’ range. The main reason is the ability to do longer cruises and spend a lot more weekends – as opposed to day sails - on the boat than we currently do now.

I love the lines of older boats, but my wife likes the amenities of newer ones.

Here’s my question, is “better” to buy a larger but only slightly newer boat for less money or go ahead and purchase a more expensive, newer boat?

I’m going to look at a 1983 Tartan 37’ and a 1997 Beneteau 35’. The price difference is about $12k. I’d like to have whichever boat I get for a good while longer so I’m worried that an 1983 might already be getting “old” – even though T37s are great boats.

I know that the T37 is probably more “blue water” than the Beneteau but I don’t plan on sailing around the world in either.

Thanks for your input.
Our previous boat, a 1985 Ericson 35-3, is currently for sail in Annapolis. Check out my website for more info. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you in touch with the current owner.

More info here but this is an old thread. Amazing Boat For The Discriminating Buyer

More info on the Ericson site: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...5-III-for-sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 09-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook