SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012

FtWorthSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel

Well, I went out to look at that boat again and this time we put it in the water and it was watertight. His final offer was $1000. for a 1980 Catalina 22 pop-top model, a nice running 5 hp outboard motor, and a very nice looking trailer. Some work still needs to be done on the trailer, but he is working on it so I can haul it out and bring it home. The boat has 2 mailsails, 2 jibs - 150 and a smaller one, and one more but not sure if its the big one for downhaul *spinnaker?) or not. Took another look at the inside and outside and found some additional minor fiberglass damage on the deck near the edge but not bad. The insert just below the table has some fiberglass damage but it is about 3 inches long. Both look easy enough to repair. We raised and lowered the keel and it functioned perfectly. All mast, boom, stays, & rigging look pretty good. There IS a battery in it but didn't check it. Probably needs to be replaced. All the wood will need to be sanded and restained but its all there. Cushions inside might be ok if I take them out and wash them. No tears - just looks old. The table laminate is stained and coming apart. I will just replace it with a real wood table. Checked the porta potty and it looks like it is in working order. Comes with an anchor and rope.

Im going to take it out on a test run tomorrow. Im beginning to think this might be a good deal, after all..... your thoughts???

Last edited by FtWorthSailor; 09-22-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook