SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frameless steel construction
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
Re: Frameless steel construction

Quote:
Looking forward to reading your posts, I must have one within the next ten years. I haven't read his book yet but isn't it suposed to go together quickly once you start? Please keep us informed on your progress, I'll try and learn from your trials an tribulations, I guess I should learn to weld first!
You can be sure that when I'll start building I'll take pictures and videos and probably post them on the Origamie Forum that you can find here :origamiboats : Frameless steel and aluminum yachts

Quote:
I've actually gone for a sail on a 36' Brent boat, and bought the plans for the 31'. I must tell you I was really impressed with how it sailed. It was faster than i expected, and tracked like it was on rails.
It's not the first time I hear such comments on the Brent Swain 36 footer, they are very well balanced sailboat.

Like I said, I'm being deployed in about 1.5 week for 6 months and after that I'll take a year long cours on ACS (air craft structure techicien). Only after this cours that I will be able to buy my self a house and start to build bits and pieces.

I have been looking all over the web, marinas and yards, for about 7 years to find the "perfect' sailboat for me and in my book, it's the BrentSwain36. Since I saw this boat I have completely fallen in love with it...

His book is a really good, I have read it at least 3 times, there is a lot of technical drawing for windvane self steering to Roller furling to bilge pump to water maker...and so on. It also explains how to "pull" one of he's hull together and he gives all kind of good tips.

There is Also a DVD that you can buy from Alex, here is he's web site :Home - Origamiboats: The Art of Frameless Steel Boatbuilding

The DVD show the construction of a Brent Swain 36 hull, keels, skeg, rudder, and deck. Here again they show all kind of good tips and tricks to pull the hull together.

And yes, these boats are supose to come together way faster then a framed sailboat but I understand that the interior will still take a while... Thats why im not gonna wait on it to start using the boat.

Cheers

Pierre