SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transiting to the Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Transiting to the Chesapeake

I'm helping my best bud transit his 34 Silverton Aft Cabin. We left Kingston NY this morning and are tied up at Liberty Landing opposite Manhattan for the evening. Tomorrow, we'll transit down to Tom's River where he'll lay up for the Winter, gas prices being what they are. We will bring it the rest of the way next Spring when he's not such a pauper due to the gas bills.

I must say, I saw some beautiful sailing vessels today on the Hudson. Some of the hulls include wealth of sloops under 30 feet, an entire regatta of racing sloops from the looks of it, a 50+ ft cruising catamaran, a gaff rigged ketch, and a schooner with a gaff mizzen and a marconi main and two headsails running at (I'd guess) 10 kts. The waters here are crowded but beautiful. And I got a great shot of the new World Trade Center still under construction with the sun shinging on it at a great angle.

All that is just to say I'm not where I usually am. If you should see someone on a Silverton waving animatedly at you as you sail by, be friendly and wave back 'cause it is me having a great time.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook