SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook2218 View Post
Maine Sail,

I plan on following your post to "t" on a 1985 Catalina 36 that has medium oxidation. I plan on also wetsanding the hull prior to applying the compound. My question is how much Presta product should I order to complete the job? How much time should I allot? I am a complete novice at this.

All,

Looking for opinions... pulled the boat out of the water and found a dozen or so 2-4" blisters on the starboard side. They appear purely cosmetic and have not changed in size over the last couple of years. Everyone has their own opinion, but I am thinking about just leaving them and just apply a couple of fresh coats of bottom paint. I never heard of a boat sinking due to blisters. Any thoughts?
I did my 43 foot Irwin with a 32 oz bottle then did my Explorer, my son's Honda and still have product left. As we worked the boat with a wool bonnet we found that if we put TOO much presta we worked twice as hard. Don't use more than you need for the polish as getting it off can be tough. As you start the job your learning curve will go up very quickly.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook