View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: New Boat Search Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Sloop,

Not having been aboard and Attalia, but my Arcadia is 2' shorter, same vintage etc.

Some things to look for.....
Foam backed vinyl hull lining may be rotted. WHile a doable fix, not fun. I can get you a link to the repair on the Jeanneau-owners site. Which by the way has over 4000 owners listed for all sizes shapes and forms of the boat.

They can be initially tender, but do harden up to a degree. You may have to reef earlier than you did with your current boat. You will want the mast pretty upright, do not lean it back, or you will get some weather helm, or at least mine is that way! I have a Castro desing, vs the attalia being a Joubert et Nivelt design. Can not say I have heard a lot about him, but Jeanneau used many designers in the 80's. They did not use a single designers as they seem to do today.

Wood work is as good as any from that time frame. Easy to work on, varnish etc. Not all solid per say, but teak plywood for the most part, with solid wood along edges etc.

One can still get the factory rigging etc. But I have a feeling most of us have done as I have, replaced the std Goiot gear with Harken/lewmar etc that is easier to find and buy.

I have not heard of any blister issues from jeanneau boats in general from that time period either.

There will not be hot and cold water IIRC, nor is there a shower on board.

Here is a dutch? site with a link to a owners manual and design specs. I can not find a brochure even at the main jeanneau site.

Marty
Thanks. I checked it out - pretty nice boat but it was too small & tender. I want something a little more substantial. There seemed to be a lot of non-specific water damage, like dripping sails had been stuffed below regularly or something. I also did NOT like the way the chainplates were hidden away under those nice moulded "knees".

How many of you are like me and don't like the "overly finished" interiors that contemporary boats come with? By that I mean all the fasteners for everything covered up and so forth. I really like to see the mountings of winches, cleats, chainplates and so forth. Nice polished backing plates and polished acorn nuts look far more appropriate to me than an interior that's detailed like a car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook