View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: New Boat Search Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Sloop,

Not surprised you found the Attalia light and tippy. It only weighs 3000 lbs LESS than the equal sized catalina 30! I weight 2000 less than a Cat 28mk II! So in some sense, yes, lighter boats will be/seem tippier or tender if you will.

With about 33-35% bal/disp, tender would probably apply as well, where that would be closer to 40% if they had/used lead vs iron keels of the same size. Altho I would imagine that with lead, they might make the cord thinner, still using the same wt of material! so in the end, no gain!

As far as interior goes....all depends upon the what you want to see or not see. Not a fan of seeing bolts in the cabin as you describe. But when I refinished my interior, I made easier to find said bolts, so I could replace things easy down the road.

Hopefully you can find what you are looking for! Maybe a smaller Cal in the 30-34' range?!?!?

marty
A nice old Cal 34 would be a definite maybe. The Attalia wasn't really tender due to the displacement, more the fact that it was derived from a successful IOR 1/2 tonner. Initial tenderness was one of the ways designers fooled the rule in those days. I'm sure it would stiffen right up around 15 degrees of heel, just like my old quarter tonner. I've been on lighter boats that weren't nearly as initially tender - more the hull shape than the disp. or ballast ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook