SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for information on hulls
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: looking for information on hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch2004 View Post
Okay folks, here's a tough question. In the early days of fiberglass hulls were thick and solid. Then they adapted to cores which reduced weight and cost and still made a good product. Is there any source of information that would list the makers of sailboats in the early years of fiberlass hulls and what years they moved to the cored hulls. I'm thinking the move started about 1970 but I'm sure it will be different for different companies.
Can you shead any light on this for me?
Thanks
Coring started well before 1970. Cored hulls were never the majority of boats produced but almost all boats have cored decks going way back. I have actually never seen a "big" boat without a cored deck although I know they exist. I once investigated buying a Discovery 47 in Vancouver. It was scratch built in the late 60's in Richmond, Canada and was reputed to be the first large boat with an Airex cored hull.

To the best of my knowledge, cored construction started with wood aircraft in WW II. The Mosquito was cold and hot moulded birch plys over balsa core. If they had had epoxy back then, history would have passed the Gougeons by.

Read "Heart of Glass" by Daniel Spurr. It's the history of fiberglass boats from the beginning and it's a very good read.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook