SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Fiberglass Repair
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: My First Fiberglass Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiansahoy View Post
I was actually planning on taking an angle grinder to the small amount of fiberglass which current covers the wooden strut pedestal.

I'm not sure what is underneath to get a bolt through but I'll check that out as well. Thanks for the idea.
Your plan is good - clean the detached glass away, clean everything up with a sander then put new glass down with epoxy. I'd use 17 Oz. uncrimped biaxial fabric, not a woven fabric. I just got done doing a bunch of work with this combo and it's the best I've ever used. Wets out nicely, drapes nicely and squeegees out until it ends up looking like it was vacuum bagged.

Back it up with some stainless through bolts with fender washers and you'll never have to worry again.

By the way, the bolts are only to eliminate any possible shear load induced movement on the wood/glass interface that could eventually break the bond, not to add strength per se.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook