SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

We just came back from a 34 day cruise, and put the iPad 3 to the test. We used the iPad in both the cockpit and down at the chart table, running mostly iNavX for both planning and as a plotter underway. We have the iPad in a Moxiware case (the cheap one), and had it mounted using a RAM bracket.

Overall I found the iPad to be OK as a plotter. The power consumption wasn't too bad, but we had to pay attention to charging to ensure it didn't go to zero. The screen size is great, and the GPS seems to be as accurate as our Garmin handheld. The iNavX charts (2XG Navionics) worked as advertised, although I found iNavX to be a bit touchy when it came to setting up new waypoints. Actually, I found I was inadvertently creating waypoints when I didn't intend to.

The biggest negative was the glare off the screen. Using it in the cockpit was hit and miss, depending on where the sun was. I installed an anti-glare screen, but found it made only minimal difference. In the end we relied more often on the good old Garmin handheld than the iPad while actually running.

Overall I liked having the iPad, but it won't be our primary plotter tool.