SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st trip as skipper
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
1st trip as skipper

I started sailing two months ago and so far have been out six days. Five of them were training to get my ASA 103 cert. My last sail two weeks ago was too windy so my 3 crew members and I rode along with a more experienced owner.

Tomorrow morning I take my Father and two brothers out in a Cal 2-25. My two brothers just have the experience riding along from 2 weeks ago. My dad used to sail a 12ft Sunflower or something 25 years ago. Historically, I'm the least responsible kid in the family. I'm a little nervous about losing all my mom's boys in one trip.

My brother wants to go to Bremerton from Shilshole which is 15nm. I added all the points and route to my GPS and printed some charts. At 5knts, it would take us 6 hours to get there and back. With the beginning of it beating, I doubt we'll ever see Bremerton before turning back. I told them we'd be lucky to end up at Blake Island, and most likely have lunch at Eagle Harbor.

PUGET SOUND AND HOOD CANAL-
844 PM PST FRI NOV 24 2006

SAT
LIGHT WIND...BECOMING S 10 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES BUILDING TO 1 TO 3 FT. RAIN LIKELY.

Any tips for us? I'm going to bed soon, but might check this board in the morning before we head out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook