SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Fiberglass Repair
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: My First Fiberglass Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiansahoy View Post
I was actually planning on taking an angle grinder to the small amount of fiberglass which current covers the wooden strut pedestal.

I'm not sure what is underneath to get a bolt through but I'll check that out as well. Thanks for the idea.
I'd be very careful with an angle grinder in this case. Even with a medium grit flapper wheel chucked on, it'll remove a lot of material in a heartbeat. The tabbing looks to be only a couple of layers thick, and unless you've got a very steady hand and a light touch you may create some very nasty divots. An R/O sander would probably give you a little more control and pose less of a risk.

If you do go the grinder route, please make sure you use a good respirator or dust mask. The grinder will create an amazing amount of dust in short order. Putting up some plastic sheeting to keep the dust out of other parts of the boat is also a good idea -- you'd be surprised how far that stuff migrates, and will find all the nooks and crannies you've never noticed before.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook